Also for our Best Bacon in Victoria event we made bacon jam to serve on sliced baguette. We got the recipe from a great little website I came across called Spoon Fork Bacon. We doubled the recipe for the event though. I found it just a tad on the sweet side so I added some extra apple cider vinegar in the end (I’ve altered this recipe a little).
Bacon: For this recipe we used Ravenstone Farms’ Whiskey smoked bacon. Why? Well double the whiskey double the fun! Their bacon has a great smoky flavour with just a hint of sweetness which worked really for this recipe.
Makes 2 cups
1 lb whiskey smoked bacon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
½ teaspoon ground mustard
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¾ cup sweet bourbon or brandy
2/3 cup strong brewed coffee
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 ½ tablespoons Sriracha
salt and pepper to taste
1. Render bacon on medium-high for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from the pot, add butter and melt.
3. Add onion, brown sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Pour the bourbon/brandy into the bacon mixture and cook the liquid down for about 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Add the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Skim off any fat/grease that has formed at the top and discard.
10. Pour the mixture into a food processor and process until desired consistency is achieved.
11. Serve warm or store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.